audio samples of 12-to-24-month-olds

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Dec 6 18:49:36 UTC 2001

Dear Karla Gilbride,
  If you go to http://childes.psy.cmu.edu/media/ you will find directories
for about 8 datasets that have CHAT transcripts linked to audio which you
can also download.  Currently, only the Bernstein and MacWhinney folders
have audio for monolingual English-speaking children.   There is also a
large and impressive data set from Brent, but there are currently some
problems with the links in that data set.   But the Bernstein and MacWhinney
data definitely match your requirements.  We also have several other major
English corpora for which there are transcripts and digitized audio, but not
yet links between the two.  They include Sachs, Bloom's Peter, Snow, Hall,
Feldman, Peters, Korman, and Van Houten.  We can make these files available
if you go through the transcripts to determine exactly what you want.
Also, you might want to consider using PRAAT instead of PROT for your
prosodic analysis.

--Brian MacWhinney, CMU