Stuttering and African Americans

Adele Proctor aproctor at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 13 18:24:07 UTC 2001

We are completing a study on prevalence of stuttering among African
American preschoolers. I have often heard that there is a higher prevalence
for stuttering in African American males than other populations and have
had this reported to me by other SLPs. However, I cannot find data to
substantiate this apparent clinical observation . Does anyone know of
specific references where this is printed? thanks, Adele

Adele Proctor, Sc.D.                                    217.244.2554 (Office)
Associate Professor                                     217.244.2235 (Fax)
Department of Speech & Hearing Science          217.244.9073 (TTY)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign              aproctor at uiuc.edu
901 South Sixth Street
Champaign, Illinois 61820