research guidelines:summary

Roma Horbatsch rchumak at acs.ryerson.ca
Sat Feb 10 23:29:58 UTC 2001

Dear fellow researchers,

Some weeks ago I requested help in locating guidelines for
conducting child language research with undergraduates.
I want to thank everyone who replied. My new (small but growing!)
research group is now very busy! The suggestions are listed below.
I also include references I found in my own search:

1. Lise Menn
Methods for Studying Language Production
2000, (eds) Menn, L & Ratner, N. Hillsdale, Erlbaum NJ

2. Donna Bosworth Andrews,
Peter Gordon, Lynn Santelmann
Methods for Assessing Children's Syntax
1996, (eds) McDaniel, D., McKee, c., & Smith Cairns, H.,
MIT Press
(*check the bibliography!)

3.Annette Karmiloff-Smith
Pathways to Language: from Fetus to Adolescent
Developing Child Series, (soon - 2001) (eds) Karmiloff-Smith, A., &
Karmiloff,  K.
Harvard University Press

4. Kimary Shahin
Procedures for the Phonological Analysis of Children's Language
(1981) Ingram, D. University Park Press, Baltimore, MD

5. Linda Jarmulowicz
(i) Assessing Language Production in Children
(1981) Miller, Jon, University Park Press, Baltimore, MD

(ii) Guide to Analysis of Language Transcripts, 2nd Edition
(1993) Retherford, K. Thinking Publications

6. Roberta Golinkoff
How Babies Talk (1999)
Michnick Golinkoff, R. & Hirsch-Pasek, K.
Plume- Penguin
(* wonderful reading - undergrads love it
- so do I!)

7. Carolyn Chaney
Assessing the Pragmatic Abilities of Children
(part II) Roth, F.P. & Spekman, N.J., (1984)
Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders
49, 12-17

8. Child Language: Language Workbooks Series
(1994) Stilwell Peccei, J. Routledge, New York.

9.Corpora and crosslinguistic research: theory, method and case
studies,(1998)  (ed) Johansson, Stig & Oksefjell, Signe,
Amsterdam, Atlanta, GA