Onomatopoeic words in early vocabulary

Sharon Armon Lotem armonls at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Jan 9 07:47:58 UTC 2001

Hi,

I'm posting the following question for one of our students. Please send
your answers directly to her at amtal at bezeqint.net

Under the assumption that children's early vocabulary consists mainly of
nouns, and that there's a preference (for children) to use onomatopoeic
words, especially for animals:

(1) Is there any evidence that when a child is given both the animal's
name and the sound it produces, she will show preference for one of them?

(2) What happens iif the child is given only names of animals?

(3) Would children use first animal names for which the know the
onomatopoeic sound?

Any information of the above topic is welcome.

Thank you

Tali Peshim