Onomatopoeic words in early vocabulary

Dale, Philip S. DaleP at health.missouri.edu
Tue Jan 9 16:56:21 UTC 2001

It's also important to keep in mind substantial linguistic/cultural
differences here. In Japanese, for example, there is a much larger inventory
of onomatopoeic words, and they are used more extensively and longer by both
parents and children. This is well documented in a number of studies, but
most extensively by Ogura in her work developing and norming the Japanese
Early Communicative Inventory.

Philip Dale