references summary

Ludovica Serratrice mewssls2 at fs1.ed.man.ac.uk
Thu May 10 10:05:41 UTC 2001

Hello,

some time ago I sent a message to the list requesting references on
morphological productivity in children. I would like to thank the
following people for providing me with useful pointers, some of the
references are listed below. Thanks again everyone.

Alejandra Auza
Shoba Bandi Rao
E.O. Batchelder
R. N. Campbell
Rachel Chung
Eve Clark
Wolfgang Dressler
Jean Berko Gleason
Peter Gordon
Juhani Jarvikivi
Brian MacWhinney
Martha McGinnis
Steven Pinker
Dan Slobin
Sthephen Wilson

Off-line and on-line tests on German compounds in:
W.U.Dressler et al. 2001. "The processing of interfixed German
compound". Yearbook of Morphology 1999. 185-220.

Off-line tests on Italian, French and Polish inflection not yet
published. Wolfgang U. Dressler Univ. of Vienna

For classical work on Russian, see the papers by Popova, Zakharova,
and Bogoyavlenskiy in STUDIES OF CHILD LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT, edited by
C. A. Ferguson & D. I. Slobin (1973).

Clark, Eve V.  1993/ The lexicon in acquisition (CUP), and
experimental studies cited there Gordon, Peter -  papers
MacWhinney, Brian 1976/ SRCD mono on Hungarian morphophonology
Marcus. Gary, et al. 1991/ SRCD monograph on overregularization in
                   inflectional morphology
Slobin, Dan I. (Ed.), 5 vols of The crosslinguistic study of
                    language acquisition (MANY refs for many lgs)

Gordon, P.  (1989).  Levels of affixation in the acquisition of
English morphology.  Journal of Memory and Language, 28, 519-530.

Bertram, Laine and Karvinen (1998, Journal of Psycholinguistic
research) on Finnish as well as other studies by Dr. Raymond Bertram
and associates are recommendable. These are all collected in Dr.
Bertram's doctoral thesis, Morphology in the mind, University of Turku
(2000).

Pinker, S., Lebeaux, D. S., & Frost, L. A. (1987) Productivity and
constraints in the acquisition of  the passive. Cognition, 26,
195-267.

Gropen, J., Pinker, S., Hollander, M., Goldberg, R. & Wilson, R.
(1989) The learnability and  acquisition of the dative alternation in
English. Language, 65, 203-257.

Gropen, J., Pinker, S, Hollander, M., & Goldberg, R. (1991) Syntax and
semantics in the  acquisition of locative verbs. Journal of Child
Language, 18, 115-151.

Gropen, J., Pinker, S, Hollander, J., & Goldberg, R. (1991)
Affectedness and direct objects: The role of lexical semantics in the
acquisition of verb argument structure.  Cognition, 41, 153-195.

Marcus, G., Pinker, S., Ullman, M., Hollander, M., Rosen, T. J. & Xu,
F. (1992) Overregularization in language acquisition.  Monographs of
the Society for Research in Child Development, 57 (4, Serial No. 228).

Pinker, S. (1989) Learnability and Cognition: The Acquisition of
Argument Structure. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press/Bradford Books.

Pinker, S. (1999) Words and Rules: The Ingredients of Language. New
York: Basic Books.

Dr Ludovica Serratrice
Research Associate

Human Communication and Deafness