fill in the missing word

Annette Karmiloff-Smith a.karmiloff-smith at ich.ucl.ac.uk
Tue May 15 08:50:57 UTC 2001

>>If the child has fast-mapped the
>>noun or verb, then the formation of the plural or past tense is more likely
>>to go through the normal productive system (whatever that might be).
>>However, if fast-mapping has not been fully achieved and the child is trying
>>to dredge up the word under load, then zero-marking is likely to result.

This is an important point raised by Brian.  But in an earlier study
using nonce
terms with participants with WS, Julia Grant and I found that they
were actually
better than typically developing controls at repeating the nonce term
- the controls
were muddled by any resemblances the nonce had with real words e.g. '"chalique"
ah that sounds like "chalet"'.  We didn't have a single instance of
this with the clinical
population.  But recalling the nonce term and adding morphological
marking are of
course different things entirely.  The computational demands may well be a very
important factor, as Brian points out.
Annette

Professor A.Karmiloff-Smith,
Head, Neurocognitive Development Unit,