Fwd: Re: studies on

Marilyn Vihman m.vihman at bangor.ac.uk
Wed May 16 07:20:09 UTC 2001

In view of the comments I read after I sent mine to Lynne, I thought
I should copy it out to the network at large - I would certainly
think that having missed the first 16 months of exposure to the
prosody and segmental patterns of English, a child would not begin
producing words and combinations in the usual time span. So I think
that bilingual exposure should definitely be considered a factor
here. -marilyn

>Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:11:19 +0200
>To: Lynn Santelmann <santelmannl at pdx.edu>
>From: Marilyn Vihman <m.vihman at bangor.ac.uk>
>Subject: Re: studies on
>Bcc:
>>A colleague of mine recently asked me for advice because her 25
>>month daughter that she adopted from China at age 16 months is not
>>yet using much language. Her pediatrician has recommended a hearing
>>test. She wondered if there were studies on L2 learners like this.
>>I know of work with older children (preschoolers), but am at a loss
>>for work on younger children.
>>
>Two studies I know of on very young L2 learners both involve
>children who had SOME exposure to the L2 from very early: One is on
>my daughter, learning English in day care from 1;11 (the ref is:
>Formulas in 1st and 2d language acquisition (1982), in L. Obler & L.
>Menn, eds., Exceptional Language and Linguistics, Academic Press;
>the other is Rachel Karniol's daughter, also aged 2, learning Hebrew
>and English, in JChLg 1990, I think.
>
>In view of the current emphasis on early implicit learning, it would
>be interesting to hear how long it takes a child adopted from
>another country/ambient language to begin speaking - I would expect
>some delay, but I don't know of any literature on this.
>
>-marilyn

   Marilyn M. Vihman		       |
   Professor, Developmental Psychology  |      /\
   School of Psychology                 |     /  \/\
   University of Wales, Bangor          |  /\/    \ \
   The Brigantia Building	       | /        \ \
   Penrallt Road	           	       |/   =======\=\
   Gwynedd LL57 2AS               	       |
   tel. 44 (0)1248 383 775	       | B A N G O R
   FAX             382 599              |