No subject

Paula Menyuk menyuk at ACS-MAIL.bu.edu
Thu May 17 16:28:40 UTC 2001

First, I apologize for getting the age wrong.I also want to reiterate
my comment about the value of hearing test, but I withdraw my comment
about degree of bilingualism. I agree that there can be some
interference if the child was exposed to Chinese for that long a
period of time. But it is also the case that there can be rapid,
although perhaps somewhat delayed acquisition of a second language
given these circumstances. I have had the privilege of observing a
small group of Chinese adoptees, around 10 in number ( all girls) who
are now about 6 or 7. Their pattern of English development in terms
of time of acquisition of English varied, however 3 of them showed
some degree of delay. They are all doing well now.