selecting adult tiers

Mr L Onnis psrcm at dredd.csv.warwick.ac.uk
Wed May 30 10:18:32 UTC 2001

Hallo Childes users,

I intend to run a series of queries involving adults only and children
only. In the first case, I have selected out the *chi tier by inserting
"-t*chi" . However, in many files children are labeled with their
names (e.g. JEF, STV for Steve). so when I run the query the
program does not know that JEF, for instance, is a child and
outputs a string for JEF as well. this is terrible because I`m working
on thousands of files with different names for children! Is there an
automated way to select out all kids` tiers?

Same problem appears if you want to exclude adults`tiers and work
on child language only. Some adults are are labeled MOT, FAT,
INV (investigator), or just by the three first letters of their name, e.g.
BOB.

I would be very grateful if anybody could give me a hint on this
problem. Thank you,

Luca
Luca Onnis
Department of Psychology