notation of schwa

Ann Peters ann at hawaii.edu
Sat Nov 24 19:00:29 UTC 2001

Dear Catherine,
I disagree with Brian about his comment: "Given the fact that you only
care about morphology, I would go this route [ignoring the schwa] for
now."
In my work with filler syllables that turn into grammatical morphemes,
tracking schwas is really crucial!  I have found that I can't do without a
%pho tier, but that is a lot of work!  I have also developed my own
notation for indicating vowel and nasal fillers on the main line. I
suspect Brian wouldn't approve, since it isn't sanctioned CHAT format, but
it does help me keep track of the fillers.
Ann Peters

Dr. Ann M. Peters, Professor
Department of Linguistics
University of Hawai`i               email: ann at hawaii.edu
1890 East West Road, Rm 569         phone: 808 956-3241
Honolulu, HI  96822                 fax:   808 956-9166
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~ann/