notation of schwa

Edy Veneziano Edy.Veneziano at univ-nancy2.fr
Mon Nov 26 10:22:22 UTC 2001

Like Alya Morgenstern, I would also welcome an update on phonetic trnascription
within CHAT (associated with practice and availability of required
fonts/applications).
I agree with Ann that fine phonetic transcription is necessary for the
emergence of morphology and, for that matter - emergence - , at all levels of
language analysis.
However, I think that it is important to remind ourselves that this is a
necessary but not sufficient step to take, as time consuming transcriptions may
sometimes not make surface, or may be mistreated , at the analysis level .

Edy Veneziano