DVD camera

Meiyun Chang-Smith meiyun.chang-smith at anu.edu.au
Sun Sep 9 15:02:43 UTC 2001

Dear Info-CHILDES,

About a year ago I saw some messages from Seiko Ono and Brian MacWhinney
regarding the Hitachi DVD camcorder. Recently I have been thinking about
buying a digital video camera. I asked in a camera store about the DVD
camera and was told that Hitachi is still the only producer of this
product, but that they (i.e., the store) did not stock it because they
could not see any significant advantage over the more popular models
which use mini-cassettes for storage. At this stage I don't know too
much, but I am supposing that uploading video from any digital camcorder
to the PC would then enable one to store and/or write it to CD or DVD in
a range of formats, depending on the software one is using.

Is there a significant advantage to the DVD camcorder over other models
which use cassette?

Many thanks in advance for any advice,
Meiyun Chang-Smith.

Meiyun Chang-Smith