limiting a search in CLAn

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Wed Apr 17 20:10:47 UTC 2002

Dear Marit Westergaard,
   You wanted to work only on sentences with three or more words.  We had to
change the CLAN MAXWD program to do what you wanted.  The new Macintosh
version on the web now includes the changes. The Windows version will be
updated for the changes by the end of the week.  The command you need to use
is

maxwd -x3 +g2 +c0 +d1 +o%  filename.cha

The -x3 tells the program you want to exclude sentences under three words in
length.

The +g2 says to count words.

The +c0 says to output any amount of matching sentences.  In effect zero is
the same as infinity here.

The +d1 means to preserve CHAT format.

The +o% says to include the dependent tiers in the output.  You may not
actually want this.

The new feature here is the +c0.  I will add this info to the manual.  Good
luck.

--Brian