English family moving to Rome

Luca Onnis L.Onnis at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Dec 16 19:54:15 UTC 2002

Dear all,

I am in contact with a nice English family of four, two little girls
aged 2 and 4. Their mother tongue is English. They live in England and
in January they will move to Rome for an indefinite period of time, as
the father has a new job there. None of the members of the family has
the slightest knowledge of Italian, which means that they will be
immersed in the (lively!) social and linguistic environment of Rome
without any prior exposure to it. In particular, the older kid will go
to state primary school as soon as they move there.

I thought I would send this email around to see whether anyone is
interested in monitoring the development of Italian as a second language
in this family. They are willing to cooperate, and in fact they might
even benefit from contacting a linguist. From a researcher?s point of
view I reckon this family is an ideal source of information, as one
could test SLA at different stages (ages 2 and 5 would be particularly
interesting). Unfortunately, I am not in contact with researchers in
Rome, although I know that for instance Elizabeth Bates has collaborated
with academics who work there.

If anyone is interested, please do not hesitate to contact me at:
l.onnis at warwick.ac.uk

Luca
 Onnis

Luca Onnis