Studies on lying

Ann Dowker ann.dowker at psy.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 8 21:02:52 UTC 2002

There's quite a lot on this in the 'theory of mind' literature, e.g.:

M. Chandler, A. Fritz and S. Hala: Small-scale deceit: deception as a
marker of 2-year-olds', 3-year-olds' and 4-year-olds' early theories of
mind; Child Development, 1989, 60, 1263-1277

K. Cole and P. Mitchell: Family background in relation to deceptive
ability and understanding of the mind; Social Development, 1998, 7,
181-197

S. Hala, M. Chandler and A. Fritz: Fledgling theories of mind: deception
as a marker of 3-year-olds' understanding of false belief; Child
Development, 1991, 62, 83-97

M. Lewis, C. Stanger and M. Sullivan: Deception in  3-year-olds; Developmental
Psychology, 1989, 25, 439-443

P. Newton, V. Reddy and R. Bull: Children's everyday deception and
performance on false belief tasks; British Journal of Developmental
Psychology, 2000, 18, 297-313

A. Polak and P.L. Harris: Deception by young children following
non-compliance; Developmental Psychology, 1999,, 35, 561-568

S. Ritblatt: Children's level of performance in a false belief
task; Journal of Genetic Psychology, 2000, 161, 53-64

R. Saltmarsh and P. Mitchell: Young children's difficulties acknowledging
false belief: realism and deception; Journal of Experimental Child
Psychology, 1998, 69, 3-21

A. Sinclair: Young children's practical deceptions and their understanding
of false belief; New Ideas in Psychology, 1996, 14, 157-173.

I hope this is helpful,

Ann