Edinburgh

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Feb 14 19:33:16 UTC 2002

Dear Info-CHILDES and Annette,

  Annette, thanks for posting that note from the Edinburgh Tourist Bureau.
I had received a similar note from them earlier, as well as parallel notes
from bureaus in Switzerland and Malta.  It seems to me that Edinburgh would
be a great site for the IASCL meeting in 2008.  I know that people who
attended the Cognitive Science meeting there last year said it was a great
place to hold the meeting.  However, we have no child language researchers
at Edinburgh who have yet volunteered to host the event and that would be a
sticking point.  Another problem might be the issue of the cost of
facilities.  If anyone in Edinburgh or at least the UK thinks it is possible
to organize a meeting there, please tell me and perhaps we and the IASCL
executive committee can pursue this further.  In general, we may indeed want
to try to use the opportunity of the upcoming meeting in Madison to do at
least some initial planning for the meeting in 2008, although I am sure all
of us think of 2008 as a lifetime away.

--Brian MacWhinney