ACQUISITION OF ADJECTIVES

William B. Snyder wsnyder at uconnvm.uconn.edu
Mon Jan 7 13:59:51 UTC 2002

Dear Jeannette,

I have a (co-authored) paper that's about to appear in _Language
Acquisition_, and might be suitable for your class:

Snyder, William, Ann Senghas, and Kelly Inman (in press) Agreement
  morphology and the acquisition of noun-drop in Spanish. _Language
  Acquisition_.

The paper concerns the idea (promoted by Borer 1986, and still popular
in the Generative literature) that syntactic variation can be reduced to
variation in overt morphological paradigms.

We argue against this idea in the particular case of Spanish "noun-drop"
(e.g. _el rojo_ 'the red', for English _the red one_).  In a case study of
a Spanish-learning child, we show that the potentially relevant
morphological paradigms (gender- and number-marking on the adjective and
determiner) are all mastered significantly earlier (by binomial test) than
noun-drop.  For a period of about four months, the child consistently
supplies an overt noun, where an adult (or she herself, slightly later)
would omit the noun most of the time.  Hence, rich agreement morphology on
adjectives/determiners *isn't* sufficient to make noun-drop grammatical in
the language.

Anyhow, I'll be happy to pass along a preprint if you're interested.

Best wishes,

William

Prof. William B. Snyder
Department of Linguistics