Past tense in L2 acquisition

Shoba Bandi-Rao sqb4972 at nyu.edu
Tue Jan 8 04:28:43 UTC 2002

SOME MORE ADDITIONS TO YOUR LIST...

BECK'S STUDY DOES NOT FOCUS ON FRENCH L2 LEARNERS BUT DOES ADDRESS THE
INFLUENCE OF CLASSROOM LEARNING ON THE FREQUENCY EFFECTS ON IRREGULAR
VERBS.

Beck, M. L. (1997). Regular verbs, past tense and frequency: tracking
down a potential source of NS/NNS competence differences. Second Language
Research, 13(2), 93-115.

BORDEN'S AND MY OWN STUDY ADDRESS THE ACQUISITION OF THE PAST TENSE IN
L2.

Borden, D. S. (1994). Non-native speakers of English and denominal
regularization. Ph. D Thesis. University of Texas, Denton.

Bandi-Rao, S. (2001). Inflecting denominal verbs: The role of semantics.
Paper presented at the Twenty-Sixth Annual BUCLD, Boston, November 3.

FROM A DISCOURSE PERSPECTIVE, HERE ARE THE FOLLOWING...

Ellis, R. (1987). Interlanguage variability in narrative discourse: Style
shifting in the use of the past tense. Studies in Second Language
Acquisition, 9, 1-20.

Wolfram, W. (1985). Variability in tense marking: A case for the obvious.
Language Learning, 35(2), 229-253.

PART OF THIS STUDY ADDRESSES THE SIMPLE PAST TENSE IN L2 AS WELL.

Bailey, N. (1987). The importance of meaning over form in L2 system
building: An unresolved issue. Ph. D. Thesis. Graduate Center, City
University of New York.

Best,
Shoba

Shoba Bandi Rao