PRAAT & motherese

Carol Slater cslater at alma.edu
Mon Jan 28 19:38:57 UTC 2002

Dear All--
May I ask for your assistance again ? One of my students is carrying out
a senior thesis on the nature of language directed at disabled
individuals. In one condition, she expects to observe something that
looks (well, sounds) like motherese, in another, not. A while back, it
was suggested that PRAAT would be the means of choice to carry out this
sort of analysis but the PRAAT folk tell us that they themselves have no
experience with it and even with their all-purpose helpful comments, it
is by no means obvious how to get started. Has anyone had experience
doing this sort of thing with PRAAT? We would be very grateful for any
counsel.
Carol Slater
Department of Psychology
Alma College
Alma MI 48801
P.S. Hope you all saw the nice discussion of CHILDES in Gopnik, Meltzoff
& Kuhl's Scientist in the Crib.