Productivity in acquisition of grammar

Shanley Allen shanley at bu.edu
Wed Jul 10 13:16:02 UTC 2002

Hi Katie,

I've done similar work in Inuktitut, and used your (a) and (b) as
indicators as well some other things.  The most obvious indicator of
productivity is overregularization (e.g. runned, falled), but this doesn't
occur very often.  You can look at my indicators of productivity in the
second chapter of my book (Allen, S. 1996. Aspects of Argument Structure
Acquisition in Inuktitut. Amsterdam: Benjamins), or pretty much the same
ones appear in my JCL article (Allen, S. & Crago, M. 1996. The acquisition
of the passive in Inuktitut. Journal of Child Language. - the title isn't
exact and I forget the volume and page numbers).

Work by Julian Pine, Elena Lieven, Mike Tomasello among others indicates
that your (c) would not be a good measure of productivity.  Children may
well learn individual verbs in fixed forms at early ages, acquiring one
tense for each verb, for instance, and so may not be productively applying
morphology even though they are producing forms with the correct
morphemes. You need evidence from one verb with or without the morpheme to
tease this apart.  This research also shows why your criterion (b) is
weaker than (a).

Good luck, and don't hesitate to write with further questions.

Best,
Shanley Allen.