Request for English CDI (long form) data

Marchman, Virginia A vamarch at utdallas.edu
Tue Jun 11 17:13:50 UTC 2002

Dear Info-Childes Members,

The CDI Advisory Board is currently involved in a renorming effort of
the
long forms of the MacArthur Communicative Development Inventories
(CDIs).
As many of you know, the MacArthur CDIs consist of two full-scale parent
report
instruments which assess a variety of language milestones that are
appropriate for typically-developing English-speaking children between
8-16 months (Words & Gestures) and 16-30 months (Words & Sentences).
(See Fenson et al., 1993, User's guide & technical manual.)  In addition
to increasing
the overall size of the norming database, the renorming effort would
like to:
(1) Extend the upper-age of the norming information for the CDI: Words &
Gestures
from 16 to 18 months;
(2) Increase the representation of families from non-Caucasian ethnic
backgrounds;
(3) Increase the representation of families with mothers who have 12 or
fewer
years of education (i.e., high school grad or less).
While our internal efforts have made considerable progress, we would
like to ask
the Child Language community for additional help.  We know that many of
you
have targeted families that meet the above criteria and have used the
CDIs (Words &
Gestures or Words & Sentences long forms) in your research with those
families.
In the spirit of the Child Language Data Exchange System, we would like
ask our fellow Child Language researchers to contribute their data to
our renorming effort.
Although we cannot offer any monetary compensation beyond covering
any mailing expenses that you might incur, any contributions will be
warmly and gratefully
acknowledged in the next edition of the CDI User's Guide!
We are looking for HARD COPIES** (or a soft data file format with all of
the item responses) of:
(1) MacArthur CDIs for (American) English-speaking children between 8-18

months (Words & Gestures) or 16-30 months (Words & Sentences);
(2) First time administrations (i.e., the parent had not completed a CDI
before);
AND
(3) reported mother's years of education = 12 years or under (i.e., high
school grad or less);
OR
(4) reported ethnicity of the families: Hispanic, African American,
Asian, Native American,
Mixed, or Other non-White
The following information must also be available:
(1) Date of Birth and Date of CDI (or age of CDI);
(2) Gender of child;
(3) Birth order.
Exclusionary Criteria:
(1) prematurity: less than 37 weeks gestation AND birthweight less than
5 lbs; 5oz (5000 grams);
(2) substantive birth complications (e.g., extended stay in ICU);
(3) diagnosed developmental disability (e.g., Downs syndrome, CP);
(4) diagnosed or suspected hearing loss;
(5) substantive exposure to a language other than English (more than 7
hours per week).

DON'T SEND ANYTHING YET!
IF YOU ARE WILLING TO CONTRIBUTE, PLEASE CONTACT: Virginia Marchman
(vamarch at utdallas.edu <mailto:vamarch at utdallas.edu> )
for additional information and mailing instructions.  We will be
accepting data contributions
until JULY 31, 2002.
THANK YOU!

**WE WILL RETURN THE HARD COPIES OF YOUR DATA TO YOU!   PLEASE REMOVE
ANY IDENTIFYING PARTICIPANT INFORMATION.

Virginia A. Marchman, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology
School of Human Development
P.O. Box 830688