Research Assistant position

Michael Ullman michael at giccs.georgetown.edu
Wed Mar 20 19:44:53 UTC 2002

RESEARCH ASSISTANT
BRAIN AND LANGUAGE LAB, GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY.

We are seeking a full-time Research Assistant in the Brain and
Language Lab. The lab is at Georgetown University, and is affiliated
with the Departments of Neuroscience, Linguistics, Psychology and
Neurology. The members of the lab carry out research on the neural,
computational and psychological bases of language, including
morphology, syntax and both conceptual and compositional semantics.
We examine these domains in several languages, including English,
Spanish, Italian, Russian and Japanese. We also probe the relation
between these language domains and specific non-language domains, in
particular memory and motor functions - focusing on declarative and
procedural memory - and their neural correlates. We additionally
investigate sex differences in language, second language learning and
processing, the recovery of language following neural damage, and the
neuro-pharmacological bases of language. We use multiple
complementary methodological approaches to test our hypotheses, with
the goal of obtaining converging evidence: (1) psycholinguistic
studies of cognitively unimpaired adults (e.g., probing working
memory); (2) developmental investigations of normal children and of
children and adults with developmental disorders (Specific Language
Impairment, Williams syndrome, phenylketonuria, and autism); (3)
neurological studies of patients with adult-onset brain damage
(Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, or Huntington's disease, cerebellar
damage, or aphasia); (4) neuroimaging studies of normal and
cognitively impaired subjects, using electroencephalography /
Event-Related Potentials (EEG/ERPs), magnetoencephalography (MEG),
and functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI); (5) pharmacological
experiments of normal and cognitively impaired subjects (e.g.,
manipulating acetylcholine or estrogen). The lab has a high-end
96-channel EEG/ERP system. fMRI is also performed at Georgetown, on
either a 1.5T or 3T magnet. MEG can be carried out at a nearby
institution. The members of the lab have expertise in a variety of
disciplines, including several areas of theoretical linguistics,
psycholinguistics, cognitive psychology, cognitive neuroscience,
neuroimaging and neuro-pharmacology. We collaborate intensively with
other groups at Georgetown University (particularly in Linguistics
and Neurology), and at other institutions in the US and in other
countries (Canada, UK, Italy, Germany).

The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be involved in
a number of these projects, and to carry out her/his own study(ies).
S/he will have responsibility for multiple aspects of laboratory
management and organization, including overseeing undergraduate
work-study students, and working with other lab members in preparing
and managing grants, creating experimental stimuli, and setting up
and running experiments.

Minimum requirements for the position include a B.A. or B.S., and at
least some research experience, in language, cognition, neuroscience,
or a related field.  Competence with Macintosh, Windows, or UNIX is
highly desirable, as is some background in statistics. A car is
preferable because subject testing is conducted at multiple sites.
The candidate must be extremely energetic, hard-working, organized
and responsible, and be able to work with a diverse group of people.

To ensure that the candidate has sufficient time to learn and to be
productive, s/he should be available to work for at least two years.
The start date must be not later than late spring or early summer
2002. Interested candidates should email Michael Ullman a resume,
with the names of two references. Georgetown University is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. The position includes
health and dental benefits.

Michael Ullman
Director, Brain and Language Laboratory
Assistant Professor
Departments of Neuroscience, Linguistics, Psychology and Neurology
Georgetown University
Washington, DC
Email: michael at georgetown.edu