Video usage

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Fri Mar 29 22:09:37 UTC 2002

Dear Info-CHILDES,

   I received about 20 responses to my query about video resources.
Unfortunately, due to a mail glitch, I lost about five of the replies, but I
can reconstruct most of the ones I missed.  It appears that virtually all
new data collection uses digital video, whereas older video is either VHS or
reel-to-reel.  People often mentioned their willingness and intention to
contribute these data to CHILDES, even without my prodding, so it is clear
that we are going to have a lot of video data soon.  The barrier will be
finding out a good fast way to get this all digitized and then figuring out
a proper way of distributing pieces of the video database to interested
people.  So far, this is looking quite good.  Here is a summary of the