late talkers using sign language

Ann Dowker ann.dowker at psy.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 6 17:55:09 UTC 2002

I don't know of references concerning the exact situation that you
describe; but Susan Goldin-Meadow and colleagues have published a lot of
material on spontaneously invented sign languages in deaf children of
hearing parents; e.g.

S. Goldin-Meadow and C. Mylander: Gestural communication in deaf
children: non-effect of parental input on language development; Science,
1983, 221, 372-374.

S. Goldin-Meadow, C. Mylander and C. Butcher: The resilience of
combinatorial structure at the word level: morphology in self-styled
gesture systems; Cognition, 1995, 56, 195-262.

S. Goldin-Meadow and C. Mylander: Spontaneous sign systems created by deaf
children in two cultures; Nature, 1998, 391, 279-281.

Also, A. Ellis and G. Beattie: The Psychology of Language and
Communication, Erlbaum, 1986, pp. 288-290, describes the case of Martin, a
typically developing child who was a somewhat late talker and invented a
large repertoire of gestural signs for communication.

Ann