Feedback on faces

Annette Karmiloff-Smith a.karmiloff-smith at ich.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Nov 6 13:13:34 UTC 2002

Here are the responses I received to the question below, since some
of you have asked me to post them.  If I get any more I will send
them on separately.

Paul Quinn <pquinn at washjeff.edu>
>Quinn, P. C., Yahr, J., Kuhn, A., Slater, A. M., & Pascalis, O. (2002).
>Representation of the gender of human faces by infants: A preference for
female. Perception, 31, 1109-1121.

>hi annette
>maybe slightly off-beam, but did you know that newborn males look
>for longer at a mobile, whilst newborn females look for longer at a
>face? Connellan et al, 2001, Inf Behav and Dev.
>hope all's well
>simon
>Simon Baron-Cohen
>Professor of Developmental Psychopathology
>Co-Director
>Autism Research Centre
>Cambridge University
>Departments of Experimental Psychology and Psychiatry
>Downing St, Cambridge CB2 3EB, UK
>tel 01223 333557 fax 01223 333561
>www.psychiatry.cam.ac.uk/arc
>and
>www.human-emotions.com

>Dear Annette,
>  On voices, I have nothing about female over male, etc. as you ask.
>On faces, I found this:
>
>×      Langlois, J.H. & L.A.Roggman (1990), Attractive faces are
>only average, Psychological Science 1: 115-121. (On infants'
>preference for attractive faces)
>
>×      Slater, A., C. von der Schulenburg, E. Brown, M. Badenoch,
>G. Butterworth, S. Parsons & C. Samuels (1998) Newborn infants
>prefer attractive faces, Infant Behavior and Development 21: 345-354.
>
>×      Samuels, C.A., G. Butterworth, T. Roberts & L. Graupner
>(1994), Babies prefer attractiveness to symmetry, Perception 23:
>823-831.
>Best
>  Madalena
>  Madalena Cruz-Ferreira
>ellmcf at nus.edu.sg

Dear Annette,
1. I once attended a class taught by Barry Brazelton,
who had a newborn brought in and had two talkers:
a male and a female talking at the same time in the
baby's two ears. The newborn immediately turned his head
towards the female and continued paying
attention to the female's direction. Dr. Brazelton
used this behavior to support the notion of the infant's
"readiness" for speech. According to him, it is common
knowledge among nurses that there is a preference
for higher-pitched voices in newborns. This is, however,
not a preference for female voices but, rather, for
higher-pitched voices.

2. The voice preference issue is a reserach area
explored in detail by Melanie Spence. Her dissertation should
be useful:

Spence, Melanie Jean. Newborns' Preference for Female Voices as a
Function of Spectral Composition. Dissertation Abstracts
International. 46(2):680B. 1985 Aug.. Ann Arbor, MI

Best,
Krisztina
Krisztina Zajds, M.A., M.A., Ph.D.
Linguist, Speech scientist
Postdoctoral Research Associate &
Senior lecturer
University of Texas at Austin
Dept. of Communication Sciences and Disorders
CMA 7.214
Drawer A 1100
Austin, TX 78712
USA