Question to the community

Madalena Cruz-Ferreira ellmcf at nus.edu.sg
Thu Nov 7 02:28:01 UTC 2002

Mental arithmetic works for me too, innumerate as I am.
But wouldn't prosody/intonation define your dominant language? If prosody is the basics of basics in child language acquisition and if you are defined by what you do spontaneously, like left-handedness, then is your dominant language must be the one whose prosody you use regardless of what words and syntax you're speaking. This is one reason why I have some difficulty with matrix vs. embedded approaches to multilingualism.

Madalena

Madalena Cruz-Ferreira
ellmcf at nus.edu.sg