summary of references

Pascale TREVISIOL trevi at mb5.seikyou.ne.jp
Sat Nov 9 16:27:49 UTC 2002

Following are references gathered in response to my request for studies
dealing with the expression of time and aspect by japanese speaking subjects
in L1 and L2. I feel very grateful for all the help I received. Thank you to
those who responded !

Pascale Trevisiol
University of Paris 8 / University of Hokkaido, Institute of Language and
Culture Studies (Japan)

SUMMARY OF REPLIES

Berman, R. & Slobin, D. (1994). Narrative structure. In R.Berman & D. Slobin
(Eds.), Relating events in narrative: A crosslinguistic developmental study
(pp. 39-84). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

Clancy, P. (1986). The acquisition of communicative style in Japanese. In
B.B.Schieffelin & E. Ochs (Eds.), Language socialization across cultures (
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Clancy, P. M. (1985). The acquisition of Japanese. In D.I.Slobin (Ed.), The
Cross-linguistic Study of Language Acquisition. Vol. 1: The data (pp.
373-524). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

Clancy, P. (1990). Acquiring communicative style in Japanese. In
R.C.Scarcella, E. S. Andersen, & S. D. Krashen (Eds.), Developing
communicative competence in a second language (pp. 27-34). New York: Newbury
House Publishers.

Ping Li and Yasuhiro Shirai (2000). The acquisition of Lexical and
Grammatical Aspect. Studies in language acquisition. Mouton de
Gruyter.

There are also Shirai's papers references about aspect in Japanese on the
author's homepage :
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/ys54/