References on acquisition of possessive -s

MariaMcGuckian at aol.com MariaMcGuckian at aol.com
Fri Nov 15 12:20:19 UTC 2002

Dear info-childes members,

A while back I posted a request for references to literature on the
acquisition of possessive -s. I would like to take this opportunity to thank
everyone who responded,  I was provided with a number of references and
useful comments. There follows a list of references gathered in response to
my request.

Maria McGuckian
Linguistics, School of Communication
University of Ulster

Berko, J. (1958). "The child's learning of English morphology." Word 14:
150-177.

Brown, R. (1973). A first language: The early stages. London, Allen & Unwin.

de Villiers, J. G. and P. A. de Villiers (1972). "A cross-sectional study of
the acquisition of grammatical morphemes in child speech." Journal of
Psycholinguistic Research 2(3): 267-278.

Golinkoff, R. M. & Markessini, J.  (1980).  "'Mommy sock':  The child's
understanding of possession as expressed in two-noun phrases".  Journal of
Child Language, 7, 119-136

Leonard, L.B. (1995). "Functional categories in the grammars of children with
Specific language impairment". Journal of Speech and Hearing Research,
38:1270-1283.

Peters, A.M. & Menn, L. (1993). "False starts and filler syllables: Ways to
learn grammatical morphemes" Language,  69 (4):742-777.

Gavruseva, E. & Thornton, R. (2001). "Getting it right: Acquisition of
Whose-Questions in Child English". Language Acquisition, l9 (3):229-267.
(On how the possessive -s morpheme shows up in whose-questions).

van de Craats, I., Corver, N. & van Hout, R. (2000). "Conservation of
grammatical knowledge: on the acquisition of possessive noun phrases by
Turkish and Moroccan learners of Dutch". Linguistics, 38:221-314.

Penner, Z. & Weissenborn, J. (1996). "Strong continuity, parameter setting
and the trigger hierarchy: on the acquisition of DP in Bernese Swiss German
and High German". In, Generative perspectives on language acquisition,
Clahsen, H. (ed.), 161-200 Amsterdam, Benjamins.