The relationship of L1 and L2 skills in Spanish/English bilingualchildren.

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at comdis.umass.edu
Wed Nov 20 23:55:06 UTC 2002

Dear InfoCHILDES,

I can't resist the opportunity to plug our
study "Language and Literacy in Bilingual
Children" (now a book, Oller and Eilers, Eds., 2002
from Multilingual Matters).  We were looking
for evidence of precisely the question Claudio
raises:  What support is there for the strongly
held notion that L1 skill helps learning in L2.
(We also wondered whether it was true for both
simultaneous and sequential bilinguals.)

We compared children (ages 5 to 10) with support
for L1 with those without such support
(in the home and in the school)
and found that in general, as Fred
points out, there was a common factor for
literacy skills in the 2 languages, but oral
language skills in the 2 languages loaded on
two factors, one for oral language skills in
each language.

It was our impression (way back when we were
planning the study, which we carried out
from 1994-1997, so my memory is fuzzy)
that beyond Cummins himself, there
were only sporadic empirical studies.
Or there were large scale studies, like the
UN projects of Skutnabb-Kangas in the 70s,
whose results were intriguing, but which needed
more careful controls before conclusions
could be drawn.

I'm sure I haven't done justice to the topic
with these sweeping generalizations, but I
think no one will say that the question is
closed.

We also looked for evidence of cross-language
facilitation in bilingual L1, but found very
little of it.  Ex. The toddlers we followed
did not seem to build the lexicon of one language on
their lexicon in the other, except in rare
cases.  We also did a little investigation
of children's awareness of cognates across
languages and found them generally "undetected"
in the general population.  I have heard that
Kathy Kohnert has followed up on cognates and
has different findings from ours.

It will be interesting to hear more about the
Judge Baker Children's Center research on these
questions in children with psychopathology.

All for now,

Cheers,

Barbara (Zurer Pearson)

--