accent development

TING T CHUNG ting+ at pitt.edu
Thu Oct 24 03:45:39 UTC 2002

HI all,

There are a lot of anecdotes about how children of first-generation
immigrants don't develop their parents' accent. Instead, they pick up
the accent of their peers. Does anyone have empirical data to show this is
indeed the case?

Besides, is there evidence that when kids relocate with parents, they tend
to develop the accent of the new location? Any observation of the critical
period effect?

Any reference on kids and even infants perception or development of speech
accent would be very much appreciated too.

I'll post a summary of recommendations I receive.

Rachel Chung
=======================
ting at pitt.edu

Department of Psychology