query

Ann Dowker ann.dowker at psy.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 2 14:36:50 UTC 2002

This is one of my own main research areas.

In 1998, I edited a special issue of "Cahiers de Psychologie Cognitive/
Current Psychology of Cognition" devoted to "Language play in children".
It includes papers by Stan Kuczaj, Alyssa McCabe, Carol Fox, Tony Charman,
Eve Clark, Virginia Mann, Victoria Joffe, Brigitte Nerlich, Zazie Todd,
David Clarke and others.

The reference is: Cahiers de Psychologie Cognitive/ Current Psychology of
Cognition, 1998, Vol. 17, No. 2: Language Play in Children.

My papers on the subject include:

Dowker, A. (1989). Rhyme and alliteration in poems elicited from young
children; Journal of Child Language, 16, 181-202

Dowker, A. (1991). Modified repetition in poems elicited from young
children; Journal of Child Language, 18, 625-639

Dowker, A. and Pinto, G. (1993). Phonological devices in English and
Italian children; Journal of Child Language, 20, 697-706

Dowker, A., Krasowicz, G., Pinto, G., Roazzi, A., and Smith,
A. (1998). Phonological and semantic devices in very young children's
poems; Cahiers de Psychologie/ Current Psychology of Cognition, 1998,
17(2), 389-416

I have a chapter in press looking at this topic specifically from the
point of view of metaphor and polysemy, if you would like me to send it to
you.

The classic on the subject is Kornei Chukovsky: From Two to
Five; University of California Press, 1963 (the first Russian edition was
published in 1925).

Best wishes,

Ann