query

Carolyn Chaney cchaney at sfsu.edu
Tue Sep 3 23:46:30 UTC 2002

Hi Michael,

There are several sources cited in my paper "Language Sevelopment,
metalinguistic skills and print awareness in 3-year-old children," APPLIED
PSYCHOLINGUISTICS, 1992, p. 485-514.  Some of the children studied in this
research were older twos, also.

In addition I have an upublished paper, "A cognitive Developmental
analysis of toddler's jokes," that looks at kid's jokes from 13 months -
36 mos.  There are some good examples of early incongruities that produce
great laughs in kids, and the specific example that you mention was
observed at 24 months (calling a giraffe a dog).  Send me your address if
you want a copy.  Maybe I'll get around to publishing this some day.

Carolyn Chaney