films

Roberta Golinkoff Roberta at UDel.Edu
Thu Sep 5 13:13:36 UTC 2002

Of course Truffaut's The Wild Child about Victor. Love to see the
list that emerges. Thanks for doing this!

At 7:57 AM -0500 9/5/02, Dale, Philip S. wrote:
>A couple of years ago I posted a notice asking for suggestions for
>fiction which had language as a focus, and I received many
>suggestions. As a followup, I'd like to recommend very highly Mary
>Doria Russell's The Sparrow, a science fiction novel in which
>language learning plays an important role. It's also quite
>fascinating as a meditation on culture contact and miscommunication,
>and on the nature of faith. The author is a Ph.D. anthropologist.
>
>My request this time is for film which has language as a focus. The
>two which come mind immediately are My Fair Lady, and Nell. Are
>there any others? I have a hazy memory of some bits in Monty Python
>movies, for example. The treatment of language can be done well or
>badly; I'm interested in film as a discussion starter.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help, and I'll post a summary.
>
>Philip S. Dale, Professor and Chair
>Dept of Communication Science & Disorders
>303 Lewis Hall
>University of Missouri-Columbia
>Columbia, MO 65211
>tel:   573-882-1934
>fax:   573-884-8686
>email: dalep at health.missouri.edu

Roberta Michnick Golinkoff, Ph.D.
H. Rodney Sharp Professor
School of Education and Departments of Psychology and Linguistics
University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716
Phone:  (302) 831-1634	 Fax:  (302) 831-4110	E-mail:	Roberta at udel.edu
Be sure to look at our Ph.D. program at
http://www.udel.edu/educ/graduate/phd/cognition/