Books with Child Language Themes

Carolyn Chaney cchaney at sfsu.edu
Thu Sep 5 22:16:10 UTC 2002

Thanks to you, Philip, for raising the issue of books and films again.  I
have kept a list of the books that we listed a few years back, but it is
surely time for an update.  Below is my booklist...does anyone have books
to add?  I like to keep the list "popular" as opposed to textbookish, as
my students (who may receive extra credit for a book report) seem to enjoy
them in contrast to the academic reading they must do for class!

Sorry that the citations are incomplete.  Here's the list:

Books with Child Language Themes

Title				Author			Topic
Uncommon Understanding      Dorothy Bishop		SLI
Double Negative		David Carkeet			Mystery
The Silent Storm	M.M. Brown & Ruth Crane		Helen Keller
Skallarigg			Michael Harwood
The Lore & Language of Children	Iona & Peter Opie	OralCulture
The People in the Playground		Iona Opie
Language Play			David Crystal
Loving April			Melvin Burgess		Hearing Impairment
Knowledge of Angels		Jill Paton Welsh	"Wolf" child
Native Tongue Trilogy	Suzette H. Elgin		Sci Fi
How Babies Talk		K. Hirsh-Pasek & R. Golinkoff
Cushla and her Books		D. Butler		Literacy/handicapped
The Meaning Makers		Gordon Wells
The Boy who Would Be a Helicopter  Vivian G. Paley  Storytelling/classroom
Wallys Stories		       Vivian G. Paley
Lost in Translation		Eva Hoffman
Trumpet of the Swan		E.B. White
Baby Sign			Linda Acredolo		Teaching Sign Lang.
Thinking in Pictures		Temple Grandin		Biography/autism
Meaningful Differences in the Everyday Experiences of Young American
Children            by Betty Hart & Todd Risely
Ways with Words		Shirley Brice Heath
The Folkstories of Children	Brian Sutton-Smith
>From Two to Five		Kornei Chukovsky	(out of print)
A Toddlers Life		Marilyn Schatz			case study
The Dumb House		John Burnside			fiction
A Slant of Sun			Beth Kephart		PDD
Genie
Leaning How to Mean		Halliday
The Poison Oracle		Peter Dickinson	mystery:  sign lang. Chimp
Dancing without Music - Deafness in America 	Beryl Benderly (short
sdtories)
The Miracle Worker		William Gibson
The Story of My Life		Helen Keller
Lisa and David			Theodore Rubin			Autism
Jordi				Theodore Rubin			Autism
The Ascent of Babel:  An Exploration of Language, Mind, and Understanding
			Gerry Altman	Survey of child lang. issues
In Other Words:  The Science and Psychology of Second Language Acquisition
				Ellen Bialystok and Kenji Hakuta
In this Sign		Joanne Greenberg	Hearing child of deaf parents
The Way it Spozed to Be      James Hearndon	Verbal feats of ghetto dwellers
The Seige:  First 8 Years of an Autistic Girl	Clara C. Park	Mothers account
Genie:  An Abused Child's Flight from Silence     Russ Rymer
Reversals:  A Personal Account of Victory over Dyslexia by Eileen Simpson,
Memoir
Language, Gender and Childhood	Carolyn Steedman, Cathy Urwin and Valerie
Walkerdine, eds.
The Learning Gap:  Why Our Schools are Failing and What we can learn from
Chinese and Japanese Educ. by  Harold W. Stevenson and James W. Stigler
Girls, Boys, and Language		Joan Swann
Preschool in Three Cultures:  Japan, China, and the U.S.  by Joseph J. Tobin,
David Y.H. Wu, Dana H. Davidson
The Sparrow	 Mary Doria Russell		Sci Fi about language learning

More books:  about biligualism
Arnberg, L. Raising Children Bilingually: The Pre-school Years. Clevedon,
Avon: Multilingual Matters
Baker. C. (1995). A parents' and teachers' guide to bilingualism.
Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
Baker, C. (1999). Encyclopedia on bilingualism
Cunningham-Andersson, U. & Andersson, S. (1999). Growing up with two
languages - A practical guide.   Routledge.
Dopke, S. (1992).  One parent-one language:  an interactional approach.
Benjamins.
Grosjean, F. (1982). Life with two languages. Harvard University Press
Harding, E. & Riley, P.  (1986), The Bilingual Family. A Handbook for
Parents,  Cambridge U.P.
Hoffman, E. (1990) Lost in Translation, Penguin Books.
Lyon, J. (1996).  Becoming bilingual.  Language acquisition in a bilingual
community.  Multilingual Matters
Saunders, G. (1982). Bilingual Children: Guidance for the family.
Multilingual Matters.
Tabors, P. (1996) One Child, Two Languages: A guide for preschool
educators of children learning English as a second language (Brookes
Publishing, Baltimore, MD).
Taeschner, T. The sun is feminine