Coding grammatical errors in language samples

Brian Richards B.J.Richards at reading.ac.uk
Fri Sep 6 11:37:05 UTC 2002

Re Jay Mclelland's example of "your welcome", I wonder whether with such a
formulaic expression speakers and writers really are always aware of the
base form.

One phenomenon that has always puzzled me in children's writing, including
older teenagers is using 'of' instead of 'have/ve' after modals: 'It must of
been...', 'they might of done...' Any thoughts?

Brian

Brian Richards
Professor of Education
The University of Reading