films, etc.

Dale, Philip S. DaleP at health.missouri.edu
Fri Sep 6 13:05:41 UTC 2002

Thanks to the *many* people who have sent film and book recommendations. Clearly there are many others who are interested in the representation of language use and acquisition in artistic forms. Feel free to send more, but I can tell it will take a while to work up an organized summary of all the information. (There is, after all, real work to be done.)
In the meantime, I thought I'd share a delightful photo of Peter Ladefoged on the set of My Fair Lady, with Rex Harrison (Professor Higgins), Wilfred Hyde White (Colonel Pickering), and George Cukor the director. It was sent to me by my graduate school classmate George Allen:

Go to the home page for the UCLA Phonetics Lab:

     http://www.humnet.ucla.edu/humnet/linguistics/faciliti/uclaplab.html

and click on the button to see the background picture in its full glory.

Cheers --
/g

George D. Allen <alleng at msu.edu>
Michigan State University College of Nursing
A230 Life Sciences Bldg., E. Lansing MI 48824-1317
Voice: (517) 353-5976; Fax: (517) 353-9553

"We already have distance learning in most university science courses; it's
called the lecture."  -- Donald Kennedy, "Science,"
August 31, 2001, p. 1557.