No subject

Dale, Philip S. DaleP at health.missouri.edu
Fri Apr 18 21:15:26 UTC 2003

I imagine most of us who are involved in teaching and research in the area of child language have often been asked questions by parents about bilingualism, and most of us cite research demonstrating that under good circumstances - an important proviso, covering both input characteristics and cultural valuation of particular languages - there is little or no delay in the process of language acquisition. But when I am asked this question about a young child for whom there is some suspicion of a language impairment, I am less certain how to answer. I am thinking of a child whose development of both languages is substantially below norms. It is my belief that bilingualism is neither a cause nor a cure for language impairment, but what little evidence I have for this - such as work in Canada on children in immersion programs - comes from studies of older children. Can anyone provide more specific and/or up-to-date information about young children, bilingualism, and language impairment?  Either scientific references, or - even better - something that could be given to parents would be much appreciated.

Philip S. Dale, Professor & Chair
Communication Sciences & Disorders
303 Lewis Hall
University of Missouri-Columbia