Question about reading

Benjamin Munson munso005 at umn.edu
Sun Aug 3 16:22:08 UTC 2003

Dear Info-Childes:

Apologies in advance for posing a somewhat off-topic question.  This
question is really for people who do early literacy research more than for
people who do oral/aural manual/visual language development.

This question relates to sound-spelling correspondence regularity.  I am
doing a word-reading experiment looking at relationships between word
frequency, neighbo(u)rhood density, and vowel articulation.  I'm planning
on doing an analysis by items in which I will examine whether regularity of
sound-spelling correspondence predicts some of my dependent measures.  What
I need is to calculate regularity of sound-spelling correspondence for
individual items as a continuous variable.  That is, I need to be able to
say that the relationship between "through" and /Tru/ is 0.8; between
"known" and /non/ is 2.3; and between rope and /rop/ is 5.6.  (I'm making
these up, although the numbers are monotonically related to my
intuitions.)  Does anyone know of such a measure of sound-spelling
correspondence regularity?  I have done searches on PsychInfo, but they
have come up with nothing.  Perhaps I'm using the wrong search terms.

I will post a summary.

Thanks in advance.

Yours,
Ben Munson