films on language acqusition

Lynn Santelmann santelmannl at pdx.edu
Mon Dec 29 05:08:51 UTC 2003

One nice newer film is called: The Secret Life of the Brain. Episode 2
focuses on language and the child's brain, and talks a bit about children's
language delay/disorder, lateralization and hemispherectomies. There might
be other things, it's been about a year since I've shown it.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/brain/episode2/index.html

I also like several episodes from Scientific American Frontiers:
http://www.pbs.org/saf/previous.htm
Growing up Different, from 2001; it has segments on children with William
Syndrome, Autism, and a Cochlear Implant:
http://www.pbs.org/saf/1205/index.html
There's also a program from this series that has a segment showing a man
with a split brain. I show this often in psycholinguistics.

All of these videos are available from PBS for about $25. Some of the
Scientific American ones are also available online if you've got access to
a reliable internet connection on which to show it.

Lynn

At 10:10 AM 12/27/2003 -0800, Philip M Prinz wrote:

>>Hello!
>>
>>I will be teaching an upper division undergraduate course on "language
>>acquisition in children" spring semester 2004. Can anyone recommend
>>recent films on language acquisition/development? Any information on the
>>films and ordering information would  be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Thank you.
>>
>>Philip Prinz
>>pm at sfsu.edu

Lynn Santelmann, Ph.D.