Letters

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Thu Jan 9 19:38:37 UTC 2003

Dear Colleagues,

  Many of you probably received a letter from me asking about your use of
CHILDES data and programs over the last 4 years.  My goal here was to
provide this information as a part of my application for continuing support
from NIH.  I have received about 150 replies so far and I am guessing that I
will receive still many more in the next few days.  The feedback and updates
so far have been encouraging, helpful, and informative.
  Because of the holidays, many people did not receive my request letter
until just now, although it was mailed out on December 2.  In the letter, I
asked for replies to be sent by January 10.  The actual submission deadline
is January 25, but the writing of the proposal is based in large part on
information that I receive from these letters.  Given this, if you have not
yet been able to send me a letter through standard mail, it would be best to
send me your letter as an email attachment, perhaps formatted as a letter
you would print out.  Although it will not have your signature, I think the
reviewers will still accept it as authentic.  My email is macw at cmu.edu.
Many thanks to those who have already sent me letters and also to those who
will send me letters in the next few days.

--Brian MacWhinney, CMU