Video archiving equipment

Barbara Zurer Pearson bpearson at comdis.umass.edu
Wed Jan 22 14:33:58 UTC 2003

Dear InfoChildes,

Forgive me if I should be checking first in the Infochildes
archive.  I will be doing that, but I also wanted to get
the most up-to-date info I could.

We're getting ready to digitize a set of about 50 video
tapes of child speech, eventually to burn onto DVDs.

But we're not sure what format to put the videos into
on the computer that will make them easiest to replay,
to find "tracks" and "gems" on, and eventually to be most
compatible with other materials on CHILDES.

I understand that the video quality suffers, but the
audio should remain ok.  Is there a way to digitize them
both separately and together (that is, audio and video)?
What are the conventions for taking out identifying
information to the extent possible?

As you can tell, I'm not even sure the best way to frame
the questions.  Fortunately, I will have help: our resident
computer "kid."  We plan to use a MAC G4 for this.  It
has a firewire drive, which we'll start out with, but
we haven't yet put in a DVD burner.  What other relevant
specs do we need to check about the machine?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Barbara

--
Barbara Zurer Pearson, Ph.D.