and finally from

Professor Annette Karmiloff-Smith a.karmiloff-smith at ich.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Jul 22 13:44:47 UTC 2003

Janine Graziono-King
Hi,
I live in NYC and I've never heard that whole string used as a fixed
expression, but "heads-up" here means, "look up" or "pay attention". (e.g.,
My baseball has headed toward an unaware group of people, so I yell
"Heads-up!")

I can also give someone a heads-up, in the sense of making them aware of
something that might be detrimental to them - and if I've been given
information that I interpret as a warning (e.g., I heard your mother-in-law
was planning to stop by), I can thank the speaker for the heads up. It
mostly seems to be associated with information that has a negative
connotation for the hearer.

So, if I heard "it's heads-up time", I guess I could interpret it as "time
to pay attention, time to become aware". How is it used there?

Janine - It doesn;t seem to be an expression used in British English,
although I don;t play
baseball or poker!  Annette

THANKS EVERYONE.
NO MORE ON THIS TOPIC.