attrition in longitudinal studies

Carolyn Chaney cchaney at sfsu.edu
Thu Jun 12 17:09:29 UTC 2003

Hi Shelly,

I had pretty good luck...only lost 2 of 42 and those moved out of state.
BUT I was willing to go to great lengths, including doing some travel
myself.  My study retested kids after 3 years.

First, families move a lot, so get the names and contact information for
family members who are in stable living situations...Grandma will know
where the kids have moved, for example.

Second, provide some incentive for families to stay in touch.  I didn't
pay anything, but I CARED about the kid's progress in literacy and would
call about once a year to see how little Johnny was doing with books.  I
really miss some of the families and still think of the kids in my study,
especially those who were not leaping into literacy.

Good luck,

Carolyn Chaney