comparing files in CHILDES

Darinka Andjelkovic dandjelk at f.bg.ac.yu
Sat Jun 14 07:54:06 UTC 2003

Dear Brian and colleagues,

thank you for your immediate and exaustive response. I took the CHILDES
Manual (sorry for skipping this chapter before) and it seems to me that RELY
would do what I need. I'll try.

And I think you missunderstood some parts of my letter. It was not my
intention to compare the differences in the transcripts itself (we made only
one transcript for one tape), but to detect not only the differences between
the codes line of two coders, but also to find the spots where a coder may
have made a change in a main line, haeder, or other dependent tiers. Those
changes are actualy important suggestions for corrections of the master
version of file, and I want them to be considered, and if good accepted. I
found in manual (I am working on1998 version and thinking on getting to new
ones) that +c switch will make program ingore the differences in the main
lines, haeders and depedents, and I guess I should only skipp the switch!

Second,
>   One part of your message that I do not understand is the claim that
> "making corrections before coding is not a solution to the problem".  But
> perhaps we could discuss this and related issues on
> info-chibolts at mail.talkbank.org instead of info-childes at mail.talkbank.org,
> since these questions may get into "nuts and bolts".

Of course we made proof reading of all files and entered all corrections
needed before the coding procedure! Actually, we haven't started coding yet,
we are just making trials and testing things. What I wanted to say is that
even after correcting transcripts, it will always happen that some solutions
in transcript become visible and changes necessery only in the coding
process.

I would like to hear whether other researchers share this experience with
me!!

Best wishes to all,

Darinka Andjelkovic
dandjelk at f.bg.ac.yu