Availability of Hindi frequency norms

Gowri Iyer giyer at crl.ucsd.edu
Wed May 7 18:03:20 UTC 2003

Dear Info-Childes members,

I am a doctoral student from India enrolled in the US in an
interdisciplinary doctoral program in Language and Communicative Disorders
at San Diego State University and the University of California, San Diego
(http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/chhs/cd/cd_degree_phd_general.html).

Thus far my research has focused on language acquisition and real-time
language processing in typically-developing children and adults.  My
dissertation work revolves around studying these issues in Indian
Hindi-English bilinguals.  To this end, I have been trying to gain access to
databases with either spoken or written word frequency norms in Hindi but so
far I haven't had any luck.  I have also spoken to a few researchers working
on Indian languages and haven't come up with anything.

I am turning to the CHILDES community in the hope that some of you may be
able to provide me with information about these databases or direct me
towards language researchers in Indian languages who will be able to help me
with this search. Thanks in advance. I will post the information I get so
that others who might be interested may also have access to it.....

Sincerely,
Gowri Iyer

Joint Doctoral Program in Language & Communicative Disorders
Univ. of California, San Diego & San Diego State Univ.
(http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/chhs/cd/cd_degree_phd_general.html).