question

Nan Ratner nratner at hesp.umd.edu
Fri Nov 7 14:20:59 UTC 2003

My work looked at changes in acoustic form from 9 mos to 18 months; a summary of my work and the limited other work available at the time can be found in Bernstein Ratner, Nan (1996). From Signal to Syntax - But what is the nature of the signal? In J. Morgan & K. Demuth (Eds). From signal to syntax: bootstrapping from speech to grammar in early acquisition. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum (35-150).

cheers to all,
Nan

Nan Bernstein Ratner, Ed.D.
Chairman
Department of Hearing and Speech Sciences
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742

301-405-4217
301-314-2023 (FAX)

nratner at hesp.umd.edu

>>> Professor Annette Karmiloff-Smith <a.karmiloff-smith at ich.ucl.ac.uk> 11/05/03 09:18AM >>>
Dear colleagues,

We are looking for references on the following:

  1. Changes in acoustic form or communicative function of motherese over the
  first year of life. I found a useful model in a chapter by Fernald (1992) but
  has anyone systematically investigated these changes?

  2. Changes in infant responsiveness to the typical acoustic form of motherese
  over the first year of life. I found a study by Werker & McLeod (1989). Are
  there any others examining different ages?

Many thanks
Annette

Professor A.Karmiloff-Smith, FBA, FMedSci, MAE, C.Psychol.
Head, Neurocognitive Development Unit,
Institute of Child Health,
30 Guilford Street,
London WC1N 1EH, U.K.