request for refs

Isabelle Barriere barriere at vonneumann.cog.jhu.edu
Thu Nov 20 23:23:55 UTC 2003

Hi Annette,

There is a useful chapter by Werker, Pegg, Polka & Patterson '3 methods for
testing infant speech perception" in Slater, A. (ed.) (1998) Perceptual
development: visual, auditory and speech perception in infancy. Hove:
Psychology Press.  Although its main focus is speech perception, the
bibliography includes reviews of methodological procedures used to
investigate other aspects of infant development.

Another chapter (that examines motivation behind methodological paradigms)
you may find useful is: Bornstein, M.H. "Stability in mental development
from early life: methods, measure, models, meanings and myths" in Simion,
F. & Butterworth, G. (1998) "The development of sensory, motor and
cognitive capacities in early infancy: from perception to cognition."Hove:
psychology press.  It also includes a good bibliography.

Hopes this helps,

Yours,

Isabelle Barriere
Department of Cognitive Science