1st and 2nd person

Blom, W.B.T. W.B.T.Blom at uva.nl
Thu Nov 27 14:47:18 UTC 2003

Dear all,

At this moment we are designing an experiment to elicit the various forms of the verbal agreement paradigm in monolingual Dutch children ranging in age between 3 and 6. Our aim is to collect longitudinal and cross-sectional data from the different age groups. We would like to ask whether anyone knows of a technique to elicit 1st and 2nd person singular (present tense). It is crucial that children use the 1st and 2nd person singular pronoun (and that they do not use proper names instead!) and that the children use both the inflected verb as well as the pronoun.

We are grateful for any hints, comments and literature suggestions.

Elma Blom

Dutch Linguistics Department/Amsterdam Center for Language and Communication
Amsterdam University