Bilingual children: models, measures and studies

Martha Karrebæk karrebek.hentze at get2net.dk
Tue Oct 14 18:58:43 UTC 2003

These questions are primarily aimed at Frank Genesee, but - needless to
say - anybody else with a suggestion or an answer are invited to reply.
During the discussion of what is normal language development of bilingual
children, Genesee said that it was his impression that "at a certain age"
bilingual children used peers as models rather than adults. Also if this
means gravitating towards another language than that preferred in the home.
My question is: Do you - or anybody else - have references on that? At what
age should this be valid? - It is also my impression but I need
documentation.

Another question concerns the point about vocabulary measures which should
be particularly sensitive to (amount of) exposure. What other types of
meaure are available?

My last question is more of a general kind. Does anybody know of studies of
second language acquisition of kindergarteners in natural settings?

Thanks for any suggestion!

Martha Karrebaek

.